Monday, March 12, 2012

iOS 5.1 Adds Language Features

iOS 5.1 released March 7 adds some new language features, but only for certain devices: the iPad 3 gets dictation in US/UK/Australian English, French, German, and Japanese. The iPhone 4S gets Siri functions in Japanese in addition to the languages provided earlier (English, French, German).

I don't have devices with these features, but I understand that for Siri the language is selected in Settings / General / Siri / Language.  Also the keyboard should be set to the language being spoken.  Internet access is required.


Magnus Lewan said...

Did you by any chance figure out how to activate Australian voice recognition? I can switch between US and UK with the keyboard. However, I cannot find any Australian keyboard.

Tom Gewecke said...

Magnus -- Sorry, no. You are right, no keyboard for Australian. Maybe the region setting? I don't have a device that supports the dictation feature.